Thursday, February 18, 2010

Building a structure ...


Gradually, I am replacing the structure provided by paid employment with a structure of going places and doing things, with friends and with strangers. The Historic Houses Trust and the WEA provide wonderful courses and walking tours and the same faces are showing up in the ones I have chosen. This year I have eschewed the opera in favour of drama and film. Yesterday I attended the first STC production for 2010. I would maybe score it 6/10. A musical on the theme of teenage sexual repression, done by kids just entering the profession. I met two new people there and they are going to the same performances as me. Then I met up with my travel companion over at the AG-NSW to listen to Peter Fitzsimons rabbit on about living in France and then to wander through the Rupert Bunny exhibition. Fitz was most entertaining - without notes. Half the exhibition was great, but then Bunny went off the rails into mythology and I did not like that style at all. Bit of a sad end really.

So, I am into my second week of French, second week of "Lost Railways" and one more lecture to go about the history of specific blocks of the city. Also one more walk along Macquarie Street. Now to go back to the Mitchell Library and learn how to research. Was told today to sus out the Maritime Museum, too.

8 comments:

Joan Elizabeth said...

You really cram in life don't you. I'm more likely to read, walk and potter about the garden when I retire ... if I can resist playing with new pieces of software.

Martina said...

I like this kind of photo - besides it is well composed and well lit it tells a story.
"Spring Awakening" is a must in German highschools - the theatre group at my highschool did a performance, too. Of course ;-). As a musical? Don't think.

When I will retire I will comment on more blogs more regulary ... .

diane b said...

You have certainly found plenty to do to keep you busy and brainy in retirement. I'm a bit like Joan. After an early walk I love to settle down to a slow breakfast, pouring over the newspaper and magazines and finish off with a crossword. By then half the morning has gone. As you have noticed we often go out for lunch and then have a light tea. You get a mention on my last post on this topic. Good for you to keep active and your mind agog. I see you are off on a trip soon. When do you leave? We would definitely like to meet you when we are in Sydney.(Maybe do lunch?hee hee)

Julie said...

Definitely do lunch!I will try to rope in a few other Sydney(ish) bloggers.

We go for a week down the South Coast at Easter and then to France in the middle of September (Paris, Carcassonne, Barcelona).

Ann said...

I envy you the time you now have.

Julie said...

Ann, I envy you the number of times you have been OS for more than 3 weeks at a time.

Martina. "Spring Awakening" is a bit tough as a rock-musical no matter how many Tony awards it garnered on Broadway. The music is not memorable, and seems to cut across the drama. And the very fact that the performers in this production were so "new" probably made it true to the story but lessened the oomph. For me it simply did not work as a musical.

bitingmidge said...

I'm struggling with the structure bit Julie! I'm kicking and fighting and resisting it.

I badly need to spend time updating software, but .. maybe when I "retire", I have too much nothing to do at the moment to possibly consider doing anything else.

freefalling said...

Can you please tell me where you get your energy?
I am a sloth.